news
Wednesday 14 July 2010

Internet Safety What Every Parent Should Know

I don't know how you feel about this subject but I know that it is a subject that needs to be addressed. What I'm talking about is parental control software and why most parents don't use it.

I can understand that you may not what to pay money to buy internet security to protect your computer from viruses, spyware and hackers. But I can not understand why most parents will not make that little investment to protect the most important thing in their lives, their children from inappropriate content or worse online predators.

Like most people I love and trust my children. But when it comes to them using the home computer I put up safe guards to ensure that they are not viewing inappropriate content or being solicited by a predator online. Children are curious by nature and will explore the unknown so it is up to us to at least filter out what they can see or have access too.

I have 4 kids in my house hold and 3 computer and I let my kids know right up front that if they are going to be doing anything on the computer that they know they shouldn't be doing that I'm going to find out. That is because I have a key logger installed on all of them and a parental control suite with chat blocker and spybuddy. This is so I can control the times they are able to access the internet the chat programs they are using and what they are able to view.

I am able to log onto their computer remotely just to check up on them to make sure they aren't doing thing that they shouldn't be doing. I use the keylogger to log in to accounts they have that you might not even know about just to make sure that there is no funny business going on. I also access email accounts so that I know they are not being solicited by any online predators.

I know that allot of people are wondering if it is ethical to be doing this and all I have to say is that there is no measure to what a parent should do to protect their children from all the things lurking on the internet. Computers and the internet are great tools for your kids to use but can also be dangerous if we don't put up safe guards to make sure they are safe while using it.

So if you are a parent who might be concerned about your child's internet usage and you don't know a whole lot about computers. I would suggest you get more information and learn how to block and control the content that comes into your home though the computer. Get yourself some parental control software to ensure that your family's internet experience is a good one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer